Forget bunkers, this yacht is a prepper’s dream

| Forget bunkers, this yacht is a prepper’s dream | social distancing | submarine yacht | advanced cement composite technology | New-Atlantis™ | @nautilusmaker |

• Mobility is key in a global crisis ( you need to move to get out of the way of the worst and find the resources still available )

• You need protection while you move ( a bunker will not give you that, a car or a yacht only to a very limited degree… )

• You need to move out of sight of other people…

• You need a big store capacity

| Jules Verne | Harper Goeff | Nautilus | mobilis in mobili | oceanic freedom | subdue to nobody | global mobility |

| cartagena project • room and floorspace equivalent of a 68 square meter apartment | see video of the inside - walktrough |

| wilfried ellmer | early prototype |

http://concretesubmarine.com

In recent years, it’s become more and more common for everyday folks to start thinking about, and preparing for, the possibility of a large-scale emergency where they live. For most of us, that means storing a bit of food and water in our basements, having fresh batteries in our flashlights, and staying on top of the news. For some others, it means investing in better security, learning how to defend yourself, and if you can afford it, investing in a bunker, safe room, or secondary property you can head to if things get bad.

While “preppers” may be the subject of some mocking thanks to ridiculous shows like NatGeo’s “Doomsday Preppers,” a surprising number of wealthy Americans are investing heavily in fortified properties and even in owning their own levels of ICBM silos that have been converted into luxury apartments.

You need to be equipped with everything you need to live a life after the world’s economy collapses and you need to stay out of the reach of raider gangs.

Alex Hollings

seizing yachts | submarine yacht | if you can’t see it you can not interfere with it | you can not seize it | the importance of staying out of the harbour | the problem with law that is not covered by the “consent of the governed” | a rabiate thai king | i take your property because you are russian | submarine yacht | are we ok with that line of politics |

If you can not detect it…

If you can not detect it, you can not tax it, you can not “exercise sovereignty over it”, you can not seize it, you can not board it, you can not interfere with it, you can not restrict its travel freedom with borders, passports, and immigration officers, you can not obligate its crew into citicenship, and apply political rule sets on them… Captain Nemo’s oceanic freedom is as limitless as it gets. Once you own a Captain Nemo Yacht all uninhabited islands of the globe become your personal private beach, and all resources of ports and global trade are within the reach of your fingertips. Any important City on the Globe has a port and you can recieve your business partners on board without going through immigration, sheduling the business meeting a mile out at sea - sending in a tender.

All bystanders will see, is a group of people boarding a boat… ( fishing diving a sunset cruise - who knows ) Nobody will asume that it is a international business meeting with Captain Nemo.

Landspace is locked oceanic space is free mobilis in mobili… exploring the business of liberty.

Peter Thiel, The Education of a Libertarian

Wilfried Ellmer • Joe Quirk • Oceanic Freedom

Business in the oceanic space today • Boka Vanguard loading Carnival Vista in EZ of the Bahamas - which Law applies ?

Global mobile oceanic Ark survive catastrophic events…

In case that politics keeps blocking progress and a situation where only 1 of 4 families can put food on the table (http://concretesubmarine.activeboard.com/t58921987/sustainability-population-growth-consumption-growth-ocean-co/ ) takes place - you certainly want a “housing solution” that allows you to stay out of land based population centers where the worst of the distribution conflict is taking place, and keep your family safe and mobile, with global resources still at your reach although the planet may be fractured in warzones… A stationary bunker can not give you that - a mobile bunker can. If the worst happens, a yacht - no matter what its size is, can not any longer navigate safely, because it depends strongly on ports and marinas and support bases that have become unsafe. It can not “stay out on the ocean” either. It is not built for staying in open ocean it is built to stay in marinas. Its “appealing siluette” draws pirate attacks whenever it is visible on the horizon.

A submarine yacht on contrary can stay out at sea in comfort - draws nobodies attention and can send in shore expeditions in a small boat for supply when the shore is safe - avoiding harbors, marinas, and population centers altogether. A submarine yacht is immune to pirate attacks of any kind. If the “1 of 4 nutrition situation” (or any other of the dozends of breakdown models predicted by doomsday prophets) occurs, pirate attacks may become frequent. ( not to mencion political driven piracy on the legal base " i seize your yacht because you are russian - and we dont like russians…" )

Read more Captain Nemo mobilis in mobili

Using a submarine yacht opens a lifestyle similar to a business jet owner - you travel worldwide, take your office and comfort with you. In fact the interior design of a submarine yacht is in most aspects very similar to a big business jet as both vessels are basicly tubular pressure resistant structures.

interior design in a tubular structure

Elegant interior design in a tubular vessel.

The most important difference is in the cost of the vessel a submarine yacht is much more economic to build and maintain. (building cost some usd 490 per cubic meter living space)

While business jets are limited to light panels, a submarine yacht interior design can also include heavy items like a jaccuzzi, and a (hundreds of tons) food and fuel storage for many months of complete independence from any supply line.

The exodus of the superrich…

concretesubmarine.activeboard.com/t59063895/mass-migration-of-the-superrich/

Implement Global Mobile Freedom
https://concretesubmarine.activeboard.com/t58935854/subdue-to-nobody/

Offshoring the Megatrend of the Century
https://concretesubmarine.activeboard.com/t56691920/offshoring-the-megatrend-of-the-century/

The ocean.builders experience | Chad Elwartowski in Thailand |

A different scenario…

Having this view … a Thai patrol boat steering toward me in hostile intention i would just attend channel 16 - explain that i am a private yacht on free passage claiming the freedom of the seas - this call is recorded and published on internet…for safety reasons…

To back up my claim i would dive and dissapear … leaving a bouy for them to fish out of the water with a written declaration what are my intentions (private research submarine | panama flagged | no business to intercept | internet adress to google up | ) - this closes the door completley for them of taking it as "unknown submarine with unclear intention in their waters near their secret naval installation " that needs to be hunted and intercepted …

Nothing on legal base to board and molest left for them…

The living space bubble in the pictures is bigger than Chad´s home, costs half the money to build, and allows a much better “interception handling” keeping you in charge of “the handling of the situation”…

Make sure that it is VERY difficult for them to get a handle on you for very practical reasons (how do you board a dived submarine and dragg the crew out, the standard proceedure of boarding and pointing guns at somebody is not very feasible …)

grafik

How would you find and intercept a…mobilis in mobili…concept boat in first place ?

This would be a task way above the head of a standard navy patrol boat like the one that intercepted Chad´s project.

If you ever went whale watching you know how difficult it is for a surface boat to find and follow a whale who does not want to be “intercepted” and prefers to get lost in the wide blue ocean.

Being a sitting duck in the crosshair of the big navy cannon (resembling the bespoke middle finger) is not a great setup…not a “desireable baseline” for a useful interaction and peacefull come along between a floating community and a land government…

| submarine yacht that is the technical equivalent of a whale body | long oceanic voyages with low energy requirements | get lost in the blue ocean | Galt’s Gulch is oceanic | undisturbed oceanic living |

• Who holds all the best cards to play in a theorical interception situation ?

• Can people get pissed off by a presence they are not even aware of ?

• And if they would ever become aware of it, it is clearly covered by the freedom of the seas and the right of free passage.

In practical terms if they do - you are long gone - when they are finished discussing what to do about it…file complaints with the police chief…get interception authorized high up the command chain…bring the necessary equipment in …etc…etc… |

All this plays in your favor - keeps you away from trouble with anybody by default …

• How successful are the most advanced Navies, with the most advanced gear, in hunting " non nuclear mini submarines" in practice ? - the internet gives you the hints…

(sonar gear needs a acoustic signiture to search for - much like a dog tracing a person needs a scent signiture - hunting something unknown with unclear signiture in the vast ocean is - very hard - at best )

The swedish Navy (NATO high tech equipment) is hunting for minisubmarines in their waters - they suspect are there - for decades - without ANY success…

• How much do you think that you need to fear something like the Thai Navy in a casual encounter ?

At the end it is something similar like in the case of cars - you don´t plan to crash into another car - but just in case it happens by accident - you want a car that has airbags…

What you want to avoid, is to be intercepted by somebody random on the open ocean, put as accused in front of a court with rules you don´t understand ( certainly not consent ) and be sentenced to death on base of medival dead law…to make a statement…

So you might consider to go for something “richer in options” and with wider “safety margins” than a spar right outside the 12nm zone of Phuket.

The merit of Chad and Nadia is to have shown in a “real world experiment” - not on a discussion forum - that Unclos is worth shit, if somebody who has a Navy, gets pissed, and comes after you - for whatever reason - when sitting on a spar.

What saved their life in practice was the capability of a small cabinboat to get lost on a big ocean…and good intelligence knowing they where comming…

• Postulate: I think it is safe to postulate that our “submerged and mobile living space bubble habitat” has a capacity much greater to get lost and avoid any Navy than Chad´s cabin boat.

How would somebody know that the guy eating icecream in front of the beach kiosk, who came in with that white dinghy, is living in a submarine that stays a mile out at sea, the guy does not get a cavity check on the airport, and travels worldwide unmolested minding his own business…beyond state interference…subdue to nobody

Here an idea as handling of a submarine yacht would be…

It may be one out of hundred who really would like to live disconnected from the surface, producing oxigen from the seawater wandering submerged and separated from mankind trough the worlds oceans, captain nemo style.

The typical owner would handle a submersible living space bubble habitat (i avoid the word submarine due to the misleading coffin perception) as a simple yacht that is in almost all of its aspects a yacht, just absolute storm safe, seasickness free, burglar safe, and maintenance cost free.

Like other yachties you would not be the whole day enclosed inside your boat. You would form part of a yachtie community anchored in the bay of a caribbean island.

In the morning you would row over to the beach meet with people from the other boats, have a beach grill, a coconut, a island adventure - you would only return to your boat to have a pleaseant night sleep in a king size bed and a freshwater shower.

There are differences in lifestyle to other yachties. For example when you leave your boat in the morning (all of your family - nobody wants to stay and watch the family home) you just close the hatch - so your living space becomes absolute burglar safe.

The other yachties always live a bit preocupied about their boat, is somebody breaking in to steal your nav equipment?, is the weather on the anchorplace changing smashing the boat against the reef?, - so they tend to live “in sight” of the boat.

You on the other hand, when get an offer for this dream on week trip - take it - when you return you will find your stuff well protected inside your living space bubble - just exactly as you left it there - breaking in trough a hatch is like breaking into a banksafe - nobody can deploy the necessary (heavy industrial) tools on a anchorplace.

Another situation where your life is really different to a yachtie is when you are together with several sailing and motor yachts anchored in front of this pristine beach of a unhabitated island. Somebody has a radio and spreads the news that tropical cyclon Bertha category 4 is closing in. Now it becomes clear why this beautiful island was uninhabitated in first place - no save harbor miles around.

Some yachts rush out into the dark of the night to make it by the speed of their expensive engines to the next safe spot - just to find that it is cramped with poorly anchored industrial barges that tend to come loose in a storm and grind everything in their way to pieces.

Smaller yachts send the kids for the nearest hotel to be safe and go for the mangroves to bring out several lines to the trunks and fight it out. They can make it as long as the storm surge is moderate.

You on the other hand just close your hatch drink a coffee watch TV - no need to leave the anchor place. If things become bumpy flood your ballast tanks and lay your bubble some 5m down on the sandy lagoon bottom until the storm has passed over you. You and your family are safe as in a underground bunker.

You could take advantage of the bad weather and the sudden absence of all your yachtie friends and make a few miles to visit the next spot. You sail out directly into the storm - trim your living space bubble at snorkel depth - you leave the coffee cup on the table, you watch the weather the sea and ship traffic with your snorkel top camara - but your comfort is not affected by the storm.

Your live will also be a bit different when aproaching a cramped marina with no space for “another boat” - you will always be the “most exotic boat” that draws the attention and marina owners will love to asign you a nice place to stay - maybe for free. While it may be difficult to have privacy in a cramped marina on a surface boat - you close your hatch and you have it.

Your living space bubble will also be different in terms of aircon, comfort electrics, and loading capacity.

For example a yacht in the caribbean can spend dozends of dollars a day in aircon to make the climate below a sun heated deck just bearable. The seawater around your hull maintains the inside at 22 degee with no aircon need.

Yacht owners sometimes go crazy with the vibrations and noise of the small generator that keeps the battery and freezer alive. Noise dampening and vibration is most of all a function of bulkhead weight - bad news for “leight weight yacht outfitting” - you have your generator behind 20cm concrete - complete silence guaranteed.

Yachties are always short of loading capacity for freshwater food, tools, equipment.

You on the other hand have dozends of tons loading capacity this gives you not only the freedom of a much longer range compared with similar sized surface yachts - it also allows you to make a living as a trader - moving cold beer in hotel quantity to remote locations.

Wil

concretesubmarine.com

Using a submarine yacht could open a lifestyle similar to a business jet owner - you could travel worldwide, take your office and comfort with you. In fact the interior design of a submarine yacht would be in most aspects very similar to a big business jet as both vessels are basicly tubular pressure resistant structures.

interior design in a tubular structure

Elegant interior design in a tubular vessel.

The most important difference is in the cost of the vessel a submarine yacht is much more economic to build and maintain.

While business jets are limited to light panels, a submarine yacht interior design can also include heavy items like a jaccuzzi.

concrete_sub.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj8yWhjOdKAuIBEV3MSBRkjLC6ue5u8kL7R9qF0KLf6p74tquS

No long distance surface swimming animal exists because this is not energy efficient. Even whales which need the surface for breathing (because they started as a surface animal similar to a nutria -ambulocetus-) swim now below surface - why ? because they cruise up to 12,000 miles each year and nature shapes all animals to be energy efficient. Here we are - if you are looking for a model for a energy efficient ocean crossing submarine yacht take this. A 200 ton whale with a length of 30m (cut some of the tail section for hydrodynamic efficient length - take some 25m) can come up to a speed of 30 knots and has been measured at those speeds. Biologists and Physiologists estimate its maximum power output at 400 horsepower. Whales are mammals so their energy physiology is similar to other mammals. Which means there is a big gap between the energy output you can get from the organism in a emergency situation for a few minutes of fast swim and the energy output you can get 24 hours a day. The most educated guess on that is a factor 10 you can run very fast for 1 minute but if you wander 24 hours a day you have to do it at a slower rithm. This means what you have on a whale tail 24 hours a day during wandering is maybe 40 horsepower possibly less. If you take into account that whales do not feed which means do not re-fuel 6-8 months during wandering - how is this possible ? - only if they use VERY VERY little energy for swimming over VERY VERY long distances. What is the efficient speed range ? Smaller whales cruise at some 3 knots bigger whales at up to 6 knots. Taking a stream speed of 3 knots in your favor as ben franklin did in its 30 day Golf Stream drift dive - you could have a whale economic ocean crossing at 9knots over ground in a submarine yacht - not bad ! Having this in mind i took my prototype concrete submarine to water back in 1996 it was whale shaped had 20 tons like a small whale and my most important question was not top speed with a big engine - this is quite clear anyhow - my question was the limbo - how low can you go… so what i did first was installing a ridiculously small electric engine of 200W into the sub and pushed the switch. - What happened? First nothing then after a couple of seconds the hull took up speed and kept taking up speed until it reached a speed of what would be in the range of a whale efficient cruising speed - some 3 knots. So i never came to the point to install the big combustion engine i had in mind in first place - it was not necessary. I later put a small generator in to reload the small battery pack and extend the range - that was all. In all my submarine yachting years i never saw a situation i would have had a need for a bigger engine. This ridiculously small engine pushed me trough storms had no problem to get nose into the wind… So i am well aware what engine size is recommended for surface yachts - BUT - based on my own experience i would be concerned that such a engine would have a short life in a yacht submarine yacht because it has to run all the time in under load during cruising . I also have no problem if somebody wants a 400hp engine in a 200 ton submarine yacht to run all the time at whale emergency speed of 30 knots - you could water ski behind it…
My personal preference is doing it like those gentle giants - cruise oceans energy efficient at moderate speed.

When you plan an engine for a submarine yacht you should forget anything that is recommended for surface yachts and come back to the basics. Fortunately there exists a fine model made by mother nature that has about the size of a submarine yacht and travels long distance as a submarine yacht is supposed to do - Whales! A streamlined body such as a whale can travel over long distances with incredibly low energy use. Studies suggest that a whale uses 5 times less energy for swimming under surface than swimming on surface where additional drag from wave resistance comes up. A graywhale of 18 tons displacement has 3000 kg (14 kg of fuel/day) to travel 20.000km (95km/day) in this journey he has about 589g/hour of fuel available for life support and locomotion. To simulate the locomotion model of gray whale a submarine yacht of the size of my prototype (20tons) is well equipped with a diesel of 1-3 horsepower. This fits well with my own field data that suggest that a small electric engine of just 200W can move a submarine yacht hull of 20 tons under all weather conditions. Such a submarine yacht is able to go 95km per day with 14kg fuel use per day - the problem is you might not find a diesel small enough for this.

…right whales are slow swimmers, rarely exceeding 5 knots, with an average speed of only 2 knots. Gray whales are also not too fast, clocking a maximum speed of only 6.5 knots. Humpback whales do about 5 knots on average, but can put on bursts of 9-10 knots. Sperm whales are much faster, doing about 10 knots on average, and able to accelerate up to 20 knots or so if pushed, though only able to maintain this speed for a short period. Speeds of 14 -18 knots have been reported for the minke whale. The sei whale appears to be the fastest of the lot, able to achieve a sprint of about 32 knots, although again for only a short stretch. Some dolphin species can also go this fast, and are generally a lot faster than whales on average.

Energy efficency

hydrodynamic cost of swimming for a graywhale
muscle and digestive efficiencies of 25% (Gosline 1993) and 80% (Thomson and Martin 1986)

Models developed by (Bose and Lien 1989) for a fin whale

model for a typical gray whale (Sumich 1983) estimates the daily requirements for gray whale locomotion come close to 60 Mcal/day.

Gray whale if swimming near to surface encounter wave drag which can increase total drag by a factor of five (Hertel 1966)

It makes sense for whales to travel at depth greater than 3 times their body depth (Sumich 1983)

Metabolic rate from oxygen consumption Studies:
(sumich 1983, Wuersig et a. 1986, Wahrenbrock et.al.1974, Highsmith and Coyle 1992)

hydrodynamic models:
Bose and Lien 1989, Hui 1987,

Bose N, Lien J (1989) Propulsion of a fin whale (Balaenoperta physalus): Why de fin whale is a fast swimmer. Proc R Soc Lond B 237:175-200

Hertel H (1966) Structure, form and movement. Reinhold Publishing Corporation, New York.

Hui CA (1987) Power and speed of swimming dolphins. J Mamm 68: 126-132

Kleiber M (1975) The fire of life: An introduction to animal energetics. Robert E Krieger Publ Co., Huntington, New York.

Pike GC (1962) Migration and feeding of the gray whale (Eschrichtius robustus). J Fish Res Bd Canada 19: 815-838

Sumich Jl (1983) Swimming velocities, breathing patterns, and estimated costs of locomotion in migrating gray whales, Eschrichtius robustus. Can J Zool 61:647-652

Wahrenbrock EA, Marushak GF, Elsner R, Kenney DW(1974) Respiration and metabolism in two baleen whale calves. Mar Fish Rev 36:3-9

Blix, A.S. and Folkow, L.P.(1995) Daily energy expenditure in free living minke whales. Acta physiol. scand. 153, 61-66

Hui (1987) estimated that dolphins energy bursts represent a 166-fold increase of the metabolism over resting rates.

Migrating gray whales have a minimum CT (cost of transportation) that occurs at the mean velocity of 2.0m/s (Sumich, 1983). The stored engery resevers allow a migration of 15.000-20.000km during which the whales fast.

Cost of locomotion estimated, based on Lockyer(1981) and an average swimming speed of 6.3km/h for gray whales (Perryman et al. 1999)

Total blubbermass used in migration in a 18000kg whale is 3000 kg available for six to seven months without feeding - while migrating 20.000 km

energy by respiration…
The estimated O2 consumption of about 150 l.min(-1) is in line with the general allometric regression for mammals and corresponds to an energetic expenditure of 85-95 kJ.kg(-1).day(-1).

( BLIX AS, FOLKOW LP. Acta Physiol Scand 1995;153(1):61-6.) Mink Whales
…We found that cost of swimming is remarkably low in these large animals and that their estimated daily energy expenditure on average only amounts to 80 kJ kg-1 day-1.

http://concretesubmarine.com

context:

Floating Diagrid Structures

The principle of basket weave applied to Seasteading

Floating Light Honeycomb Shell Structures

Light oceanic construction

Bubble Cluster Structure Seasteading

Multiple spheres, domes, acting like a giant foam block

Ocean Sphere

The Sphere is the most efficient shape for large scale enclosure of human living space in hostile environments, it allows the most volume with the least material in the structural toughest way.

Plate Seastead

| Stadion Seastead | Lens Seastead |

Ramform Seastead

The need for a bow on a oceanic structure under 400m